The Kaliningrad Town-Fortress Print E-mail

Image

On first sight, the city seems sombre and forbidding. it’s only after some closer scrutiny that it reveals its hidden charms. 

Image 

Not much remains of the old city of Königsberg, now renamed Kaliningrad. Often it’s only the cobbled streets which recall its past. 

Image

Image

Image 

The Kneiphof, a small island in the Pregel river, used to be the heart of old Königsberg. Almost completely destroyed during WW2, the only remaining building is the Dom church (now being restored) with the gravesite of Immanuel Kant.  

Image

Image 

Across the water from the town market, looking toward the Wrangel Tower. 

Image

Image 

The Wrangel Tower, built in 1853.


Museum of Amber

Some places are really beautiful. 

Walking along the 19th century fortifications, still largely intact, although at some places in need of repair. 

On the north-western periphery of the city, near the road to Rauschen/Svetlogorsk, one may find the Fortress Nr.5. Scene of especially heavy fighting during the siege of Königsberg, it is now preserved as an open-air War Memorial.

As is common with such places, it’s a favourite place for newlyweds to have their photos taken.

Lined up along the moat is a collection of W.W.II artillery ...

... making it an ideal place for school excursions.

 
 

Main Menu
Home
History
Fortresess
BFR Events
BFR Meetings
Press
Sitemap
BFR map
BFR Tours
Declaration of Kaunas
Architecture & Reconstruction and Nature Management (WP-2)
Transnational Documentation and Inventorisation Centre Fortresess (TDICF)
Documents