The Modlin Fortress - overview Print E-mail

The old Modlin Fortress founded by Napoleon in 1806 and expanded in 1811-1812, ranked among the biggest in Europe, is undoubtedly a great tourist attraction of Nowy Dwór Mazowiecki. On the right bank of the Vistula river bastion fortifications and five crown cannons were erected at that time, which were later redeveloped by the Russians into an outside ring of the fortress. In Kazuń, on the opposite bank of the river, a forebridge was erected which is now Poland's only bastion fortification preserved in its original shape.

Image

Image 

The most valuable structures of the fortress include gates with rich architectural decorations, just to mention the Napoleon's Gate, the Ostrołęka Gate and the Zakroczym Gate as well as a two-story gun emplacement on the plan of a square. After the November Uprising the Russians expanded the Modlin fortress by erecting the outside ring, linking Napoleon's crowns with two-kilometer-long barracks that was able to accommodate 20,000 soldiers.

Image 

Image

Russians continued to expand the fortress in 1883-1888 by surrounding it with a circle of forts. The structure was also remodeled in 1911-1915. The fortress was engaged in warfare in 1915, 1919 and 1939. In 1939 the local troops defended the structure in a completely hopeless situation until September 29th. Principal historic sites of the fortress include the following:

* Napoleon's Redoubt - ruins of an artillery tower constructed on the plan of a square in 1811-1812, designed by Napoleon himself. The only fortification of this type in the world!

* 19th-century St. Michael's brick tower built on the plan of a circle, used to feature casemates, now has an inside yard.

* Garrison Club (officers' mess) from the turn of the 19th c. Its outside architecture is built in the Neogothic style, whereas the interior is decorated in the eclectic style; the ballroom features polychromes with plant motifs and stucco decorations; in the concert hall there are also stucco decorations on the walls and the ceiling.

* Granary constructed in 1884 to design by Jakub Gay in the Neorenaissance style, located between the river junction of the Vistula and Narew; the facility can be distinguished for its great historical values. Unique historic site in Mazovia and Poland.

Image

All photos from site www.nowydwormaz.pl  

Contact persons :

English, Polish

Mrs Edyta Zwolińska
Tel: +48 (22) - 775-22-22 ext. 370
E-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it

Ms Aleksandra Bednarska
Tel.: +48(22) - 775-70-58
Mobile: +48 602-362-787
E-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it

Mrs. Marzena Wojda
Tel: +48 (22) - 775-16-73
E-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it

 

1.
modlin_01a.jpg
2.
modlin_02a.jpg
3.
modlin_03a.jpg
4.
modlin_04a.jpg
5.
modlin_05a.jpg
6.
modlin_06a.jpg
7.
modlin_07a.jpg
8.
modlin_08a.jpg
9.
modlin_spichlerz_100px_wys.jpg

 
 

Main Menu
Home
History
Fortresess
BFR Events
BFR Meetings
Press
Sitemap
BFR map
BFR Tours
Declaration of Kaunas
Architecture & Reconstruction and Nature Management (WP-2)
Transnational Documentation and Inventorisation Centre Fortresess (TDICF)
Documents