The Kolobrzeg Fortress - overview Print E-mail

Image

First modern defenses in Kolobrzeg were build by occupying city soldiers of Wallenstein's imperial army (30 XI 1627 - 1 II 1631). Weak points of medieval walls and towers were fortified from the outside with different size earthwork defenses, mostly small strongholds. Building of earthwork defenses was continued by new occupants - Swedes (2 II 1631 - 15 VI 1653). Then was created outside the medieval walls regular stronghold polygon - Nederland's type.

After 30-years War, Kolobrzeg was included to Branderburgen. New lord great elector Fryderyk Wilhelm I granted the city the fortress status. Firstly Kolobrzeg was the capital of Branderburgen part of Pomerania. Here were the war harbour, shipyard and military academy. Branderburgian engineers gave the fortress final shape. The city was surrounded by 8 strongholds, horn work, and tens of smaller defenses. Besides typical military architecture in Kolobrzeg were used for military purposes natural conditions: fens and swampy meadows.

Fort Munde and Lighthouse
Fort Munde and Lighthouse
 

In case of war these low located areas were flooded by water from the river Parseta. For such task was used Batardeau at the bridge over Parseta.

The hardest battles for Kolobrzeg were run during 7-years War. Three times fortress were besieged by Russians and finally taken in 1761. In 1807 the fortress wasn't taken by Napoleon's army, and because of this became a legend in German history and literature.

In 1872 was taken decision about demolishing of the fortress and since that time Kolobrzeg is a spa. Till today only few objects of the former fortress endured:

Fort Munde and Lighthouse
Fort Munde and Lighthouse
 

- Fort Munde - built in 1770-1774 as a three storey tower with a well following French patterns. Converted in 1832-1836. Defended the entry to the port. Currently superimposed upon it is a lighthouse built in 1945;

Morast Redoubt
Morast Redoubt
 

- Morast Redoubt - built in 1770-1774 on northern tip of Solna Island, in the fork of the river Parseta and the Drzewny Canal. It was a part of the defense system of the port. Currently a marina.

Solna Redoubt
Solna Redoubt
 

- Solna Redoubt - built in 1832-1836, it was a part of the defense system of the port. Currently a water sports centre of the Polish Scouts' Association

- Stone Rampart (Waldenfels Schanze)- built in 1832-1836 to defend the access to the port from the east and to defend the coast. At the end of XIX century converted for catering purposes.

- Wolf Fort (Wolfsberg Schanze) - built in 1806-1807. It defended the access to the port from the east. In 1925 the interior of the fort converted into an amphitheatre.

- Batardeu - at the turn of XVII/XVIII century created the reservoirs for controlling the water level in moats and for artificial flooding the approaches to the fortress. Great part of the object was destroyed in 1988.

- Geldern Gate - built in 1708

Batardeau 1977 - before demolishing
Batardeau 1977 - before demolishing

Fort Munde 1890-1905
Fort Munde 1890-1905

Fort Munde on the left side, Hayde Rampart on the right side - second half of XIX century
Fort Munde on the left side, Hayde Rampart on the right side - second half of XIX century

Kleist Rampart - area of the navy - 2005
Kleist Rampart - area of the navy - 2005

Morast Redoubt
Morast Redoubt

Morast Redoubt
Morast Redoubt

Morast Redoubt
Morast Redoubt

Morast Redoubt - beginning of XX century
Morast Redoubt - beginning of XX century

Plan of Fortress KoBobrzeg in 1762
Plan of Fortress KoBobrzeg in 1762

Plan of KoBobrzeg in 1648
Plan of KoBobrzeg in 1648

Salinen Redoubt - 2006
Salinen Redoubt - 2006

Salinen Redoubt and Powder Magazin - 2006
Salinen Redoubt and Powder Magazin - 2006

Salinen Redoubt - second half of XIX century
Salinen Redoubt - second half of XIX century

The Siege of KoBobrzeg by Russian Troops
The Siege of KoBobrzeg by Russian Troops
 

Contact persons:

English, Polish, Russian

Mrs. Karolina Bilska

Tel.: + 48 (94) 35 515 74

E-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it

 

 
 

Main Menu
Home
History
Fortresess
BFR Events
BFR Meetings
Press
Sitemap
BFR map
BFR Tours
Declaration of Kaunas
Architecture & Reconstruction and Nature Management (WP-2)
Transnational Documentation and Inventorisation Centre Fortresess (TDICF)
Documents