The Grodzisko Fort in Gdansk - overview Print E-mail

Image 

Grodzisko Fort is located in the very centre of Gdansk, in the closest distance to the Main Railway Station and Central Bus Depot. Grodzisko Fort is located on the Gradowa Hill which is of more than 40 m height and dominate over the centre of Gdansk.

 


Fort Grodzisko from birdeye view

 

The place was being fortified from the 17th century and - together with Bishop's Hill - formed the western front of Gdansk fortifications.

Image
The sketch of fortification by Strakowski - 1657
 

In the 1807 Fort was the place of the main attack at Gdansk of Napoleon's army. Besieged by Polish and French soldiers it was finally captured. Napoleon's Army during its stay in "Free City of Gdansk" left one great brick building, Napoleon's Reduit, built in 1812.

Image
Gallery in Fort Grodzisko
 

In the 1813 Grodzisko once again became a battlefield. Napoleon's Army was defeated and left Gdansk. Prussians kept control over the city for the next 100 years.

Image
Laboratory No 4
 

In its present shape Grodzisko Fort origins from the 2nd half of the 19th century when the great building works were undertaken by Prussians.

Image
The mine's passage in Fort Grodzisko
 

In the 1920s, after demilitarization of Gdansk, the area was redeveloped as a town park and became a popular place for relax. Without any military importance the whole area survived the time of the 2nd World War almost without any destruction.

Image
The old wet moat of Fort Grodzisko
 

Today, Grodzisko is a very attractive place for inhabitants and tourists. The area of over 20 ha is open the whole year. It is a great place for sightseeing. Historical buildings, also underground, can be explored by tourists (only with guide). Few viewpoints at the Gdansk Bay, shipyards and Old Town are very picturesque. The post-fortification park, biggest in the city centre, is a place of living of many species of animals and plants. That is why the educational route about ecology was created.


The plan of rebuilding of Fort Grodzisko - 1867

In the closest future Grodzisko will become a place of big investments and redevelopment. All buildings will be repaired and adapted to new functions. New exhibition areas will be created. New walking paths, lamps and small architecture will be built.

Image
 

You are invited to our fortress!

 

Contact:

Park Kulturowy Fortyfikacji Miejskich „Twierdza Gdańsk"
(Culture Park of City Fortifications "Fortress Gdansk")
ul. 3 Maja 9a, 80-802 Gdańsk, Poland

www.grodzisko.pl

E-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it

 

Contact persons:

(English, Polish)

Mrs. Sylwia Bryła
Tel.: + 48 (58) 3000 842 x38
E-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it

Mr. Piotr Stoppa
Tel.: + 48 (58) 3000 842 x40
E-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it

 

 

 Some definitions

Mortar battery - building from 1867, built during the Prussian rebuild of fortress. It is specific construction with eight gaps for mortars.

Reduit - Napoleonic Reduit was built by Napoleonic engineers in 1812. It is powerful artillery battery which was to be a last defense line at the fort.

Shooting gallery - building from 1867 when was the general rebuild of Grodzisko Fort. It's a very specific architecture of building with gaps for guns.

Post-fortress park - Grodzisko Fort is connected with post-fortress park from the beginning of the 20th century. Its very nice place for children and families with playgrounds. This is a place where many rare kinds of animals and plants exist.

Water moat - old wet moat at the park, nice place for young and old people, place for leisure and relax.

Attractive viewpoints - there are three viewpoints at the Grodzisko Fort with beautiful views for Gdansk old town.

Ecological croplands - protecting winter hibernation spots for bats and a rare breed of grasshopper. 3 ecological croplands exist in Grodzisko Fort

Bats - there are 2 ecological croplands for bats in Grodzisko: one in old War Powder Magasin and another in the corridor leading from the Napoleonic Reduit to the bottom of Hagelsberg (Gradowa hill)

 
 

Main Menu
Home
History
Fortresess
BFR Events
BFR Meetings
Press
Sitemap
BFR map
BFR Tours
Declaration of Kaunas
Architecture & Reconstruction and Nature Management (WP-2)
Transnational Documentation and Inventorisation Centre Fortresess (TDICF)
Documents