Fortresses
  • The Boyen Fortress in Gizycko

    The Boyen Fortress was built between 1844 and 1856 and it is an excellent example of Prussian fortification. The Fortress obtained its name after the Prussian general, von Boyen, who as the first presented the idea of building such military structure in the centre of the region of the Great Masurian Lakes.


  • The Dömitz fortress

    On order of Duke Johann Albrecht of Mecklenburg Castle Dömitz was built from 1559 until 1565 on the ruins of an early Middle Ages fortress. In the basic from of a regular pentagon the castle is a military installation in the style of Italian art of castle-building. Purpose and task of this castle was to secure the south-western border of Mecklenburg, and to control the crossings of the River Elbe.


  • The Gorgast Fort

    Built 1883 to 1889. The fort appears as an old bastion, due to the outwardly extending blockhouse and the gatehouse, the actual entrance to the entire works. The fort was erected on flat farmland and encircled by a moat, which is 3-meter deep and 42-meter wide. Best-preserved Outer Fort of the Fortress Küstrin.


  • The Grodzisko Fort - Gdansk

    Grodzisko Fort is located in the very centre of Gdansk, in the closest distance to the Main Railway Station and Central Bus Depot. Grodzisko Fort is located on the Gradowa Hill which is of more than 40 m height and dominate over the centre of Gdansk.

     


  • The Hahneberg Fort

    Fort Hahneberg, a 19th century fortress constructed to defend the cities of Berlin and Spandau, lies on the western edge of present-day Berlin. Used as barracks during the early 20th century, the fort fell into disrepair during the years of German division because it was situated in a strip of no man's land right by the Berlin Wall. Nowadays the fort is a home to several rare species of bats. 


  • The Kaliningrad Town-Fortress

    On the north-western periphery of the city, near the road to Rauschen/Svetlogorsk, one may find the Fortress Nr.5. Scene of especially heavy fighting during the siege of Königsberg, it is now preserved as an open-air War Memorial.




  • The Kaunas Fortress

    The fortress site of Kaunas City and the old town at the confluence of the Nemunas and Neris rivers has long had inhabitants. One of the main first settlements that grew up to become the present day Kaunas old town, was first mentioned by the chroniclers in 1361. Toward the end of the 14th century, in order to defend Kaunas from Crusader's attacks, a brick castle was built as an integral part of the town's defence.


  • The Kolobrzeg Fortress

    First modern defenses in Kolobrzeg were build by occupying city soldiers of Wallenstein's imperial army (30 XI 1627 - 1 II 1631). Weak points of medieval walls and towers were fortified from the outside with different size earthwork defenses, mostly small strongholds. Building of earthwork defenses was continued by new occupants - Swedes (2 II 1631 - 15 VI 1653). 


  • The Kostrzyn Fortress

    The beginnings of Kostrzyn Fortress are dated in 1537 - 68 when from the will of Jan Hohenzollern the fortress was created in the form of terrestrial rampart. The next stage of the fortress's extension was realized by two Italian builders - Francesco Chiaramella and Roch Guerrini -Linari. After its completion in 1590 the fortress was one of the greatest works of fortification architecture of contemporary Europe.


  • The Modlin Fortress

    The old Modlin Fortress founded by Napoleon in 1806 and expanded in 1811-1812, ranked among the biggest in Europe, is undoubtedly a great tourist attraction of Nowy Dwór Mazowiecki. On the right bank of the Vistula river bastion fortifications and five crown cannons were erected at that time, which were later redeveloped by the Russians into an outside ring of the fortress. 


  • The Peitz Fortress

    In a sales document from the year 1301 Peitz was first named as „opidum et castum "(city and castle). Not least because of its border situation to Saxonia and Böhmen Peitz experienced a frequent change of the owners. By the building of the fortress in 1559 to 1562 the "markgräfliche" possession should be protected in the long term. Over centuries was this building character-determining for the city.


  • The Spandau Fortress

    The Spandau Citadel is the oldest remaining structure in Berlin. The fortress was built in the 16th century, but the main tower dates back to about the 12th century. Built to protect the city of Spandau, the Citadel has seen quite a few different uses, including an ammunitions factory during the Thirty Years' War and a poison gas respository during WWII.


  • The Swinoujscie Fortress

    The construction of fortifications at the mouth of the Świna started in the Middle Ages and continued practically without a break right up to the present day. This was because of Świnoujście's geographical location and its significance for trade, maritime economy and defence. The construction of Świnoujście's forts started after the first armed conflict with the Danes in 1849.


  • The Wisloujscie Fortress (Gdansk)

    In the close vicinity of the Westerplatte peninsula lies a unique fortification monument – the Wisłoujście Fortress. The name Wisłoujście (the mouth of the Vistula) dates back to the time when the Vistula had its estuary north of the Wisłoujście Fortress. The site was an area of strategic importance as it gave control of ships moving into and out of Gdańsk.


     


 

Main Menu
Home
History
Fortresess
BFR Events
BFR Meetings
Press
Sitemap
BFR map
BFR Tours
Declaration of Kaunas
Architecture & Reconstruction and Nature Management (WP-2)
Transnational Documentation and Inventorisation Centre Fortresess (TDICF)
Documents