The Dömitz fortress

On order of Duke Johann Albrecht of Mecklenburg Castle Dömitz was built from 1559 until 1565 on the ruins of an early Middle Ages fortress. In the basic from of a regular pentagon the castle is a military installation in the style of Italian art of castle-building. Purpose and task of this castle was to secure the south-western border of Mecklenburg, and to control the crossings of the River Elbe.


The Dömitz fortress 4062
 

Main Menu
Home
History
Fortresess
BFR Events
BFR Meetings
Press
Sitemap
BFR map
BFR Tours
Declaration of Kaunas
Architecture & Reconstruction and Nature Management (WP-2)
Transnational Documentation and Inventorisation Centre Fortresess (TDICF)
Documents