The Kaunas Fortress

The fortress site of Kaunas City and the old town at the confluence of the Nemunas and Neris rivers has long had inhabitants. One of the main first settlements that grew up to become the present day Kaunas old town, was first mentioned by the chroniclers in 1361. Toward the end of the 14th century, in order to defend Kaunas from Crusader's attacks, a brick castle was built as an integral part of the town's defence.


The Kaunas Fortress - overview 4637
 

Main Menu
Home
History
Fortresess
BFR Events
BFR Meetings
Press
Sitemap
BFR map
BFR Tours
Declaration of Kaunas
Architecture & Reconstruction and Nature Management (WP-2)
Transnational Documentation and Inventorisation Centre Fortresess (TDICF)
Documents